The P-1A classification applies to you if you are coming temporarily to the United States solely to perform at a specific athletic competition as:
- An individual athlete at an internationally recognized level of performance;
- Part of a group or team at an internationally recognized level of performance;
- A professional athlete; or
- An athlete or coach, as part of a team or franchise located in the United States and a member of a foreign league or association.
The P-1A classification also applies to professional or amateur athletes coming temporarily to the United States solely to perform in a specific theatrical ice skating production or tour, individually or as part of a group.
Evidence to Submit
Your employer, agent, or sponsor, must submit all of the following required documents with your Form I-129:
- A written consultation from an appropriate labor organization.
- The consultation must describe the work or services to be performed in the United States and your qualifications for such work.
- The labor organization may also submit a letter of no objection to the approval of the petition.
- This requirement is excused if no appropriate labor organization exists.
- Copies of any written contracts or summaries of oral agreements containing the terms of your employment;
- An explanation of the nature of the events or activities, the beginning and ending dates for the events or activities, and a copy of any itinerary for the events or activities; and
- Any additional documents required for your P-1A category.
Internationally Recognized Level of Performance
To determine if the competition and required players or teams are at an internationally recognized level of performance, consider some of these factors:
- The amount of viewership, attendance, revenue, and media coverage of the events;
- The extent of past participation by internationally recognized athletes or teams;
- The international ranking of the competing athletes; or
- Documented merits requirements for participants.
For more details, please contact our office today to schedule a consultation with Immigration Attorney Sarah Mu. She is ready to help you navigate the complex immigration system and ensure your highest chance for success.